Anybody getting tired of my "Week in Review" titles. If I was to do this over I would definitely chosen a better succession of titles that put a little zip and interest drawing characteristics in it. Well, I have only one more submission of a weekly review. Any guesses on the title? Just will have to wait and see.
Okay, had my fun and now down to work. This week I really played my usually game procrastination well. Not all 100% my fault (maybe 99%), but because the activities at school and home, little time was available until Sunday to finish my draft of the final project. I should have been working on it more during week 6, but my usual habits fell into play and I paid the price on Sunday. I was beat by the evening posting of my draft. Will work on that next time (yeah right).
On a more serious note, I really have some deep appreciation for this final project. It got me to thinking about my class design I have been wanting to start and even forced me to start putting it together. Something I have been thinking and tinkering about since summer. With what I have submitted, I am well on my way to implement the first of many courses/modules for my classes. Today I shared some ideas with colleagues and they have been very inquisitive about the ideas I shared with them. I even took some of the ideas I have developed in this final project and started applying them in class. Since we just finished first quarter I ask a class of students if we could try something out. I created a class on my Moodle site and within that developed a discussion section. I assigned the student the task of creating standards for the next project with which they would create the criteria for a rubric. Each student is responsible for an initial posting of a standard and then is responsible for replying to their classmate's postings. A set of expectations and a point system was included by me to help them get started in their first discussion board. First day and they are excited and have started posting some great ideas. Will update next week.
One last bit of assessment applications in this class. Within Moodle there is a place for individual blogs. So I created one other assignment today that will carry on for the remainder of the quarter. They are to keep a reflect journal about there personal class progress. Journals are required after each class (I see them every other day for 90 minutes) and should include incites to daily achievements, thoughts, and questions. This too seems to have gone over very well.
Now I must concentrate on this class and what I need to do for the last week. I know I have a lot of reading ahead so off I go. TTFN
Monday, November 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I love the idea of students developing the standards for their project. I've tried it with adult learners before and it hasn't quite worked the way I thought it should. Maybe adults are too programmed in being told what to do by the instructor. Any tips?
ReplyDelete